Thursday 4 April 2024

Year of the Locust - Terry Hayes


I really enjoyed his first novel “I am pilgrim”, which I listened to on Audiobook so I thought I’d give this one ago. I’m glad I did. It did seem quite daunting given the size of the book, although I did also listen to this as an audiobook. 


It felt to me like this could easily be three separate novels. Having said that the three story lines were related, so in my head, I decided to look upon it as a trilogy, but all intertwined in one book.


Hats off to the actor reading this! What a mammoth task and done so well. 


It did feel like a novel in the spy genre for the first two thirds, which then kind of morphed into science fiction/horror. You know what they say about this kind of science fiction though… it’s only a matter of time before it’s fact. 


Like the previous novel it felt a little bit all over the place not only in terms of the plot. This one similarly but not only the plot - it’s puzzling what genre it is (spy/thriller/science fiction/horror)? Having said that I must have enjoyed it as I was compelled to continue and eagerly awaited each new chapter to find out what the hell was going on!


The final confrontation was so dragged out it reminded me of the death of the Frog King in Shrek 2. I found myself yelling at the car sound system at every frustrated attempt to reach a conclusion.


Trying not to give away spoilers… couldn’t help thinking at the end ‘why didn’t he video what was happening in the final third of the book to take back to authorities so diplomatic links could be forged to prevent what happened’?? …also, I loved the way the characters had their stories and what happened to them in their futures BUT what about the ‘event’ itself? The circumstances leading to the final third of the novel may have been ‘solved’ but the ‘conditions’ would still be there in case it happened again, by accident or otherwise… in trying not to give spoilers I’ve been extremely obscure to the point of confusing and NOW you’ll HAVE to read it! 😝


I set out assuming this would score less than 4 (which I scored Pilgrim) based on other reviews, but I can’t help but give it 5 stars purely on the basis that it’s the most intriguing book I’ve read in a long time - genuinely dragging me along in anticipation of the next twist in reality. Thoroughly enjoyed it. Sometimes there are audiobooks that become part of your life and you miss them when you’re finished. This was one of them.


I’d say this would also be impossible to film so don’t hold your breath waiting for a movie 🍿 


I’d certainly go for a third novel by this author, although it looks like he takes his time writing them. (Not surprisingly!)

No comments:

Post a Comment