Friday 12 August 2011

Bear Necessities



That polar bear thing is in the news again.

Just when you might think that a sharp shooting Norwegian gunman might come in handy – there isn’t one around. The incident has queried my pitch as a therapist too. When dealing with post traumatic stress, and intrusive thoughts in particular, I try to convey the idea that the more we try not to think of something, it pushes it’s way in. “Think of a Polar Bear…” I usually start to say, only now… I’m not so sure it is a good example.

Something like this always causes questions over school trips. The danger is that we will overcompensate and refuse to take the school kids walking in the woods for fear of stinging nettles and resulting litigation. On that basis you would have thought Svalbard was quite safe (no stinging nettles).

Before the litigation frenzy squad start banning school outings I think we need to consider the following…

1 - Polar Bears eat people. That’s what they do.

2 - Polar Bears live in Svalbard, and they particularly hate campers it would seem.

3 - Don’t go to Svalbard unless you are prepared to stay in a nice hotel.


The thing is, my niece went to Las Vegas for her school based holiday – so it occurs to me that the parents concerned need to consider moving their child to a different school. Colwyn Bay High School perhaps.

No comments:

Post a Comment